Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat The Daily Varnish

Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat

Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat The Daily VarnishOn the heels of NYC releasing their Strip Me Off Base Coat, Sally Hansen has thrown their hat in the peel off base coat ring with their Big Peel Off Base Coat.

The base coat is supposed to make it easy to remove glitters and other special effect polishes in a single step.

On the back of the bottle the directions read: apply a thick layer to clean, dry nails. Let dry completely. Easy enough. The back of the bottle also recommends avoiding hot water for 3 hours after application.

I’ve used this base coat several times. The first time I used it under deborah lippmann Can’t Be Tamed. I went to the beach and wore my manicure several days and could’t believe how well my manicure was wearing. Then it came time to take my polish off and this happened. Um, fail.

So, I figured I didn’t apply a thick enough coat of the base coat. I did my manicure again this time using a thicker coat of the Big Peel Off Base Coat. It took quite awhile the base coat to dry but when it finally did I continued as normal. I even made sure to avoid hot water for 3 hours.

Over the next 24 hours randomly my nail polish would just disappear. Straight up disappear.

As with other peel off base coats this is great for a night out. Or, for me, swatching glitter polishes. But you’re not going to get a long wearing manicure out of a peel off base coat.

With that being said, I do think a peel off base coat is a necessity in any nail polish lovers collection. And the Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat has the same positives and negatives of the other peel off base coats I have tried. This one does have an advantage though, it is easy to find! You can find the Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat at Ulta or even on Amazon.

Under the jump there is a photo of what this base coat looks like before it dries.

The product(s) used in this post were provided to TDV for review. For more information check out our disclosure policy.

Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat

10 thoughts on “Sally Hansen Big Peel Off Base Coat

1. Elizabeth Diaz July 1, 2015 at 1:42 pm

I have the OPI peel off base coat but haven’t used it yet. What is the best peel off on your opinion and what is wear time? War Eagle!

• Alli July 1, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I honestly think they’re all about the same. So the cheapest option in this case is probably the best one.

And War Eagle! Always.

2. Lou July 1, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I found wear times greatly improved with a top coat, I got three days before being able to peel off a glitter heavy mani. I have noticed that its not great with cremes and if your nails are not perfectly clean, its not as neat in the removal as it might be!

• Alli July 1, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I used a top coat. I just couldn’t get the nail polish to actually STAY ON!

• Lou July 2, 2015 at 2:51 am

How frustrating!

3. stacy July 2, 2015 at 8:28 am

I love this stuff, because I use so much glitter it is amazing… that is till it starts to peel then there goes my nails. I actually started to use a mixture of base coat and elmers glue. It works the same but doesn’t start to peel till you peel it off. I have an off topic question if you don’t mind. I want to make my own polish rack and saw your DIY version. I wondered if it was still holding up or if you had problems with it.

• Alli July 2, 2015 at 11:30 am

My polish rack is still on my wall. Looks exactly the same!

• Elizabeth Diaz July 2, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Are you talking about her foam board rack? I made it and it held up for a while but needs a glue touch up at times to stay together….at least mine did. I made a front piece to keep stuff from sliding off. I covered it with zebra striped duct tape and it’s super cute.

• stacy July 2, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Yeah, it looks so cute

4. Trisha Lyn Fawver July 2, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Good to know. I’ve had the random one nail disappear thing happen before with some glitters just using Nubar Foundation Base Coat, too, and it’s not even promoted as a peel off!