OPI - That's Hula-rious!

OPI – That’s Hula-rious!

OPI - That's Hula-rious (cover)It’s Spring & Summer time in nail polish land and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a perfect reminder that the cold is on its way out – hopefully sooner rather than later. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my snow days last week, my snow day mani, and the extra time with Otis & Mr. Lucy… but I’m pretty much over Winter. So let’s get it started with a little beauty from OPI’s Hawaii collection, shall we?

At first glance, I was underwhelmed by the Hawaii collection. On second glance, I knew I wanted the greens. I guess greens are my thing lately. I’m okay with that. My first pick was That’s Hula-rious! because it reminded me of Gargantuan Green Grape. I don’t own GGG, but I’ve picked it up and put it down at least 50 times at the store. Seriously.

That’s Hula-rious! is a pale minty green pastel creme (oh so many adjectives)! I love that it’s not chalky, and for a pastel the formula is pretty rockin. I used three easy coats and I was really happy with the end result. No streaking, no pooling, no bald spots – just perfection. It’s gorgeous.

As far as my obsession with GGG, I think it’s safe to say I can my polish crush go. They are not dupes, but very similar and word on the street is that the Hula formula is superior. Thanks to Nail That Accent & her comparison for helping make up my mind!

You can grab the OPI Hawaii Collection wherever OPI is sold, including Ulta and Macy’s. Each polish retails for $9.50. The (always adorable) 4 piece mini set includes That’s Hula-rious! and retails for 13.95. You can pick it up at Macy’s or Ulta.

Be sure to take a look at Alli’s review of Do You Take Lei Away? I haven’t decided what my next Hawaii polish will be, if you have an opinion let me know! Top contenders at the moment are: Go with the Lava Flow, This Color’s Making Waves, and it’s a total toss up for me between the two purples.

katie signature 2015

OPI - That's Hula-rious! (bottle)

Natural Light:

OPI - That's Hula-rious

Artificial Light:

OPI - That's Hula-rious (lightbox)

OPI - That's Hula-rious!

14 thoughts on “OPI – That’s Hula-rious!

1. Tanguera February 23, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Normally I’d love a polish described as “pale mint,” but I passed this one up when I saw it at Ulta, and not just because I have a couple of spectacular pale mints in my collection already. It didnt read as “minty” to me at all, more like a super pale chartreuse. I can’t say I find it pretty, but it is a unique shade.

• Katie February 23, 2015 at 6:35 pm

It was really hard for me to settle on a description – and at the last minute I added mint only because of OPI’s description. This pastel mint green makes me dance with joy! Hmm.

I’d shy away from throwing it in the chartreuse category only because it does pull a little bit more blue in natural light – at least on me.

Thanks for your thoughts 🙂 I’m gonna spend some time thinking on this.

• tanguera February 23, 2015 at 7:15 pm

and that will surely be time well spent! LOL. I agree, pale chartreuse isn’t quite hitting the nail on the head either. It looks to me like a white-infused lime, but I’m sure what the heck that would be called. The shade has a very odd “chalky yet juicy” quality.

• Katie February 24, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Spent some time talking to Alli about it last night. She says it’s just PASTEL. Pfffft. I’ve jumped on the ship of calling it mantis green. Today anyway…

• Nat February 25, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I asked my son what is this color. He says pistachio ice cream!

• Katie February 25, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I’m cool with that! I used to LOVE pistachio ice cream. Such a good childhood memory 🙂

• tanguera February 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Ah, pistachio! I think your son nailed it!! Pun intended. By golly, it’s a pastel pistachio! I’m so glad… I was losing some sleep over identifying this shade.

2. Nat February 23, 2015 at 5:51 pm

For some reason, ‘minty’ didn’t come to mind… I’m trying very hard to come up with a better word for it though…
    A little too yellow to be mint, too blue-y (is that a word?) to be lime-y…well, whatever. If the formula is that good, I’m all for it. It’s a lovely spring shade, not too in-your-face, fine for a not overly conservative office. It’s a contender.
    ‘New grass pastel’ maybe?

• Katie February 23, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I’m with you, Nat. It’s too… everything to be anything. Alli has a much better eye for slight color differences. I’ll have to ask her opinion.

I want to say it reminds me of inchworms. Is that weird? Or new buds on plants. You’ve got my mind in the right place with new grass pastel.

Maybe I can see why it was easy for OPI to just toss the word mint in there and be done 🙂

3. Kellyn February 23, 2015 at 6:42 pm

I have both GGG and TH and it’s true that the latter is far superior. I needed 4 coats for GGG and it never seemed to dry!

• Katie February 23, 2015 at 6:45 pm

We have confirmation! Thank you, Kellyn!

4. mntrinemo February 24, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I’ve picked up and put down GGG at least 100 times! I’m glad to hear that TH is a much better formula. Now I know what color to get from the Hawaii collection. I’m curious about the other green though…any thoughts?

• Katie February 24, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh I’m so glad I’m not alone in my weird GGG obsession! I’m holding off on getting the other green for a little while – but as soon as I have it I will definitely be sharing my thoughts on it 🙂

You’re gonna love TH!!!

5. purple_rain February 28, 2015 at 8:34 am

Oooh, such a cute colour!
    Though I’m awful with subtle shades & tones, I’d call this a “green-leaning pastel mint” (or, you know, basically a “(pale) minty green pastel” as you yourself said).
    Ah, and you should for sure get some purples from this collection (I’d go for both! :D)!