Oh my goodness y’all, it’s the first day of winter. This is bad news because that means it’s going to start getting cold. And there might even be snow (I do NOT like snow). But the winter solstice is always good news because today is the shortest day of the year and I, for one, am tired it getting dark so early. I’m looking forward to the days getting longer over the coming months.
The polishes for Winter 2015 are fun! And even a bit unexpected. I’m really excited about the current trends in the nail polish and even fashion world. Well, expect for the 2015 Pantone color of the year. BUT I will address that a bit later.
Under the jump you will find the 5 must have colors for your nails this winter season along with multiple polish recommendations for each color.
Make sure to leave a comment and let me know what you will be wearing on your nails this winter and also what you think about the 2015 Pantone color of the year.
1. Platinum Foil: This polish color is showing up in collections from wet n wild to nails inc. I love this because it’s a bit flashy yet not too in your face. This is an easy color to pull off and it goes with EVERYTHING. A color like this will also help brighten up an otherwise drab colored outfit. Some of my favorite platinum foil polishes include Essie Jiggle Hi Jiggle Low, Pixi Nude Dazzle, nails inc Kings Road and wet n wild Going Platinum.
2. Marsala: Sigh. This is the 2015 Pantone color of the year and I just don’t like it very much. It’s very 90’s. I lived through the 90’s and well, for the most part, I’d like to leave those trends in their respective decade. But alas! Marsala is VERY on trend for winter 2015. My favorite polish in this category is Revlon Vintage Rose; it has a lovely creme finish that’s easy to wear. If you want something with a little shimmer OPI I Knead Sour-Dough will do the trick.
3. Violet: I know the nail polish world loves to call this color blurple but seriously, it’s violet people! Blue based purple add a splash of color to an otherwise neutral color palette for winter 2015. What’s nice about this shade is it comes in a variety of finishes. For a creme finish I adore OPI Do You Have This Color in Stock-holm. Barielle Midnight in Paris is my favorite metallic finish in this color.
4. Shades of Grey: Thanks to the movie gray is a huge trend right now. OPI did a collection based on the movie that is to be released January 6th and the color is apparent in other holiday and winter collections. The great thing about this is it’s not one particular shade of gray that is on trend. You can go with light gray, like Barielle My City Apartment, or a deep sparkly gray like China Glaze Meet Me Under the Stars.
5. Iridescent Glitter Top Coat: Ok, technically NOT a nail polish color. But, iridescent glitter is a huge trend right now. This is a great glitter to use if you’re not entirely comfortable with a full blow glitter but still want some sparkle. Often, iridescent glitter is paired with matte black or white glitter which makes it incredibly wearable. Plus, glitter top coats can transform polishes already in your collection. My current favorite iridescent glitter top coat is OPI Snow Globetrotter. OPI Comet in the Sky, wet n wild Jewelry Heist and Sally Hansen MeteorLight (I haven’t done a review on this polish yet but I’ve been wearing it this week..it fits perfectly in this category).