deborah lippmann Xanadu COVER

deborah lippmann Xanadu

deborah lippmann Xanadu COVERAfter my experience with Magic Carpet Ride I was a bit scared of deborah lippmann’s Holiday 2014 limited edition Fantastical Collection. But, I am extremely happy to report that the disaster that was Magic Carpet Ride is not indicative of the rest of the collection.

When I saw Xanadu in the bottle I was so excited. It looked GORGEOUS. Then I looked at the name and was a bit confused. So, for those of you like me who don’t know what the heck Xanadu is, I shall share my new found knowledge.

Xanadu is a romantic musical fantasy film (yes, you read that right) released in 1980. It starred the one and only Olivia Newton-John and was the inspiration for the creation of the Golden Raspberry Awards. The film was, by all accounts, terrible. But the soundtrack was a huge success and the film was later turned into a Broadway musical. My curiosity is piqued. It’s available on Amazon Instant Video….that may happen. Tonight.

Anyway. On to Xanadu the nail polish. deborah lippmann describes Xanadu as a celestial cerulean curiosity. Which while totally accurate is a bit hard to dissect. Xanadu is a complicated polish. The base color is a metallic blue that shifts to a pale purple depending on the light. That alone is beautiful. But why stop there? deborah lippmann added medium sized hex dark blue glitter.

The formula is nothing short of fantastic. I used just two coats in my swatches. And thanks to the magic of deborah lippmann the glitter is perfectly distributed on the nail.

I adore this polish. It’s so unique and glows on the nail.  This is the kind of polish I expect from deborah lippmann; amazing formula and totally unique. It makes the $20 price tag worth it.

You can find Xanadu at Sephora as well as on Amazon.

Make sure to check out the swatches under the jump. I included a macro shot as well as a swatch in direct sunlight.

The product(s) used in this post were provided to TDV for review. For more information check out our disclosure policy.

deborah lippmann Xanadu deborah lippmann Xanadu 2 deborah lippmann Xanadu swatch deborah lippmann Xanadu MACRO deborah lippmann Xanadu sun

14 thoughts on “deborah lippmann Xanadu

1. Debbie November 11, 2014 at 9:47 am

Xanadu is a name for a place of great beauty. The movie used the name as its title, but that’s not where the name comes from. It really comes from a poem called Kubla Khan. Anyway, the term is used to describe anything that is very pretty. Similar to how you’d say wow such and such is just heavenly. You could say such and such is from xanadu. 🙂 This polish is so beautiful to me, I really understand why they picked that name! It’s such a striking color.

• Alli November 11, 2014 at 10:00 am

All of Lippmann’s polishes are named after songs. Xanadu is the name of a song on the soundtrack.

But yes, the word xanadu was not an original word to the film.

Anyway, this polish is definitely a great beauty 🙂

• Debbie November 11, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Ahh that makes sense! I didn’t realize that all their polishes are named after songs—which I should have realized because I own quite a few!!!!

2. Ariadna November 11, 2014 at 11:19 am

Ooh this polish is beautiful! And thanks for the background info, it definitely makes it more interesting. I wish I could put it on my Christmas list! Too bad it’s limited edition.
    Great swatches!

• Alli November 11, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Companies put out their holiday collections so early. I wish they’d wait till a but closer to the holidays.

3. Anonymous November 11, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Ok, “celestial cerulean curiosity” has got to be my favorite nail polish description of all time! The polish has a bit too much going on at once, for me personally… but keep in mind that Xanadu hit the theaters when I was 16… I would have DIED for this polish back then, but these days my tastes run a little tamer. Enjoy it, it’s a show stopper!

• Alli November 11, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Isn’t that just the BEST description ever? I love it.

• tanguera November 12, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Yes! And I don’t know why my comment came up as “Anonymous… it’s me, Tanguera. 🙂

4. Sarah November 11, 2014 at 4:21 pm

This reminds me a lot of Cinapro Sweet Tooth… just with a little less glitter. So pretty!

5. Nat November 11, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Very lovely polish, great pictures. Reminds me of a mermaid…but that was a different 80’s movie. I didn’t know all of Lippmann’s polishes are named after songs, I’ll have to pay more attention from now on! 🙂

• Alli November 11, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Oh my gosh I love Splash!

6. Katie November 15, 2014 at 11:37 pm

The slight purple shift is kind of amazing.

7. LostInPolish January 2, 2015 at 10:43 am

Once again Santa is amazing. He just knew putting this beauty in my stocking would make me a giddy school girl! Boy I love that magic! 🙂

• Katie January 2, 2015 at 11:13 am

Oh goodness. Santa forgot mine 🙁 Enjoy!