Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver cover

Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver

Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver coverThanks to Essie No Place Like Chrome I have been truly addicted to silver, metallic finish polishes for a couple of years now. So, of course, I could not WAIT to try Sally Hansen Sterling Silver from the new Color Foil Line.

The first thing I noticed about the Color Foil line was the truly gorgeous bottles. I’m kind of obsessed. The bottles are super metallic and opaque. While the bottles are gorgeous to look at I suppose the only negative would be you can’t actually see the polish inside the bottle. But I’m totally ok with that!

Sterling Silver is a metallic silver/chrome. It’s very similar to Essie No Place Like Chrome and OPI Push & Shove. The finish is lovely and super shiny.

The formula is good. The first coat is tricky as it is with all polishes like this. You need to work quickly but otherwise I have no complaints about the formula. Though, polishes like this will magnify any problems on the nail. This can be somewhat avoided by using a matte top coat in between coats (for more info on that check out this post). I didn’t feel the need to do that so my swatches are just Sterling Silver.

The back of the bottle suggests using this polish with no base or top coat. As long as you let the base coat dry completely before applying Sterling Silver I don’t think you’ll run into any problems. I also don’t find top coats to really be a problem and they do extend wear time.

If you already have the Essie or OPI version of this polish in your collection you can skip Sterling Silver but if you don’t I would highly recommend Sterling Silver. I do find the formula a bit more user friendly and the bottle well…it speaks for itself!

The Sally Hansen Color Foil collection is currently in stores and can also be found online at

Make sure to check out the swatches under the jump!

PS: I did use it as a base for a Patriotic Manicure featured in my Ultimate Patriotic Manicure guide. If you’re still looking for 4th of July nailspiration make sure to check that out!

The product(s) used in this post were provided to TDV for review. For more information check out our disclosure policy.

Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver swatch Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver label Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver swatch2

17 thoughts on “Sally Hansen Color Foil Sterling Silver

1. Rachel July 3, 2014 at 11:01 am

Love love love this!
    Rachel x

• Alli July 3, 2014 at 6:34 pm

So glad you like it!

2. Lou July 3, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I have this (sent to me by a stateside buddy) and I love it. I want them all because I am a polish glutton

• Alli July 3, 2014 at 6:34 pm

I think we all are! You’re in the right place

3. tanguera July 3, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Amazing… it’s like aluminum siding for nails, LOL. I’d do it as an accent nail, but for all ten nails, it’s maybe a tad too flashy for me. And when a belly dance fanatic calls something “too flashy” you KNOW it’s flashy, LOL.

• Katie July 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm

No! Nothing is too flashy 🙂

4. JDV July 4, 2014 at 7:55 am

These remind me of a chrome line they put out in the late 90’s, does anyone else remember those or am I having hallucinations? Either way, sign me up. I hope they have the same colors they had before, they were AWESOME for pedicures!

• Katie July 4, 2014 at 2:26 pm

I remember! The Sally Hansen Chrome Nail Make up polishes. I picked up one at the Dollar Tree a few years ago… I wish I’d held on to it – but I think it’s long gone. The bottles were also chrome and amazing like the Color Foils. Good memory!

• Trisha Lyn Fawver July 4, 2014 at 5:01 pm

Yep, I still have 3 or 4 myself – even used a gold one for my Independence Day mani! Looked for it recently online so I could link to it in a blog post myself… nowhere to be found reliably except a few on Amazon. But I’m glad SH brought a Chrome back!

5. Nat July 4, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Too flashy? What’s that? Love this! 😉
    Will you be posting others from this line? I see HUGE nail art potential!

• Alli July 4, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I’ve already worn Purple Alloy from this line so I’ll be posting a review of that soon!

• Nat July 5, 2014 at 12:01 am

Can’t wait!
        Meantime we’re battening down the hatches for Arthur so I may be without a connection for a few days. The heat lightening has been intense, truly spectacular; being a Maritime girl I’ve seen many storms but this is awesome. Not stupid tho, it’s still lightening (contrary to urban myth) and we have shelter. Thoughts and prayers are with any and all affected. Wow it’s early in the season for this, a month ago there was still snow in the woods;)

6. paintedfingertips July 14, 2014 at 8:02 am

Looks amazing! I hope I can get my hands on some of the color foils eventually!

7. Amanda June 5, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I ah met been able to find anyone that carries these. Any ideas? I saw a couple of people say they bought them from Walgreens so I check the Walgreens website but there were zero hits