Covergirl - Bodacious Berry

Covergirl XL Nail Gel – Bodacious Berry

Covergirl - BodaciousBerry (bottle)Okay, Okay.  I know it’s Spring and all of the Spring/Summer collections are full of elegant pastels and beautiful bright neons, but I cannot get enough of dark polishes – and purple is my color of choice these days.  I first spotted the Covergirl XL Nail Gel display a few weeks ago and I resisted several times…I did! But on my third trip to Walgreen’s, I decided I just had to try this line – I love trying new lines.

My first thought was… oh my gosh, this is the biggest bottle of polish EVER. Well, it’s not. It’s .44 ounces. In comparison, bottles of OPI and Deborah Lippmann contain .5oz of product and Essie has .46. But seriously, it looks huge! It’s worth noting that these are larger than their other lines: Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss and the Outlast Stay Brilliant Glosstinis.

What really drew me to this line was the “plump gel-like finish plus intense shine” bit of the display. I’ve never had gel nails, and I’ve only ever tried one other with gel-like claims (Layla Tropical Island). I guess you could say the marketing on this line worked. Well done, Cover Girl.

So, enough about the marketing and packaging and on to the polish! Since I’ve been obsessing over dark purples lately, I chose Bodacious Berry. I love the bodacious bit, but berry? No. This is a lovely dark purple creme, but not.. berry. It applies like a dream. I used two fabulously smooth coats and it dried to a shiny finish. For peace of mine, I topped it off with Seche Vite. I know someone will be asking for a wear test, I haven’t done one yet – but I promise I will.

Overall thoughts? I’m impressed. If they continue this line and have some more unique colors – I’ll definitely pick them up. I feel like Covergirl doesn’t get much attention in nail polish land – I’m totally guilty of this, but every time I try one I’m SO impressed.

katie pinksig14

Covergirl - Bodacious Berry

Covergirl - Bodacious Berry

Covergirl - Bodacious Berry

Covergirl - Bodacious Berry

10 thoughts on “Covergirl XL Nail Gel – Bodacious Berry

1. pikrodafni May 19, 2014 at 10:38 am

Interesting, it looks darker on the nails than in the bottle. Beautiful colour. I simply love gel finishes!

2. Katie May 19, 2014 at 12:04 pm

With one coat it is a lot like the bottle color, but two coats really darken it up. I like it a lot though.

3. Tanguera May 19, 2014 at 12:40 pm

You’re right, it’s not berry. Looks more eggplant. Not a color I love but the finish looks great and goes really well with your skin tone.

• Katie May 20, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Oh thank you! Eggplant – that’s it! My ability to name shades of purple was severely lacking the other day.

4. purple_rain May 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Perfect! ♥ Yeah, I adore this shade, by far my fave and most represented in my stash 😀

• Katie May 20, 2014 at 1:37 pm

It’s a good one to have as a favorite 🙂 I have so many dark purples that I need to get back into rotation.

5. Julie May 19, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Pretty! I saw these in a local Walgreens but hesitated to pick any up since I already have so many untrieds lurking in my stash…I think having seen this though I might just buy a few 😉

• Katie May 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I’m a fan. The finish is so smooth and shiney. It gets a thumbs up. I may pick up another…

6. collar wilson June 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Did you ever do the wear test? How does the product work?

• Katie June 8, 2014 at 11:43 pm

It’s just a regular polish. The finish is a little smoother and shinier. It’s mean to look like a gel mani. I made it to day 5 before I got bored. It wore really well. Slight wear, but nothing unusual. I’m going to pick up a few more for sure 🙂