Essie Fashion Playground cover

Essie Fashion Playground

Essie Fashion Playground coverWhile I adore Style Hunter, this polish is the standout from Essie’s Spring 2014 Hide & Go Chic collection.

Essie describes Fashion Playground as a pistachio shimmer. While this polish does have shimmer it’s super subtle. It just keeps the polish from being completely flat.

The color is great. There’s no warm or yellow undertones making it perfect for cool skintones. Unfortunately, the formula makes me want to punch things. It’s very typical old Essie; thin and runny. I used four, yes FOUR, coats in my swatches.

Despite the formula issues I do love this polish. It’s the perfect polish for spring!

The Hide & Go Chic collection is available at as well as on Amazon.

Make sure to check out the swatches under the jump!

Essie Fashion Playground Essie Fashion Playground swatch Essie Fashion Playground 2 Essie Fashion Playground MACRO Essie Fashion Playground label Essie Fashion Playground sun

13 thoughts on “Essie Fashion Playground

1. Magda April 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

Essie makes beautiful colours, but the formula is never good – it’s actually very far from good. I don’t buy them any more, they are too expensive for such a bad formula. It’s infuriating.

• Alli April 9, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Generally the Essie formula is quite good nowadays. It used to be TERRIBLE though. They’ve come a long way 🙂

• Katie April 9, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Especially in the darker department – After School Boy Blazer… Bobbing for Baubles… ahhh! <3 Love.

2. Ragnhild April 9, 2014 at 5:08 pm

The european Essie is quite different than the US version. I still buy the US version as they are a third of the price for Essie in Norway. The brush is wider here and the formula is excellent.

• Alli April 9, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Interesting. One of the reasons I like Essie so much is because of the narrower brush. I have narrow nail beds to wide brushes like OPI and SHCSM give me trouble sometimes.

3. Anne April 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Pretty color! Too bad about the formula! I wonder if there is a dupe out there with a better one??

4. Katie April 9, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Ahhh. I love the subtle essie shimmer..

5. Gabby April 13, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Typical Essie with its runny formula in some of their polishes. But other than that the colour is great! Have you tried Candy Mint Apple?

6. whitelace April 29, 2014 at 7:06 pm

I’ve caved several times and bought an Essie polish because the color was irresistable. Each time I’ve kicked myself because the formula was runny and streaky. $9 is the latest price I’ve noticed here in Canada; I won’t buy Essie again. I’ll start looking for dupes of Essie colors I really like, from another brand. Rant over. 😉