Anyway. On to the nail polish! There isn’t that much difference between the colors that are popular during fall and winter. The major difference is in the finish of the polishes.
Below the jump are my 5 must have polishes for winter 2014. Make sure to leave a comment with your favorite winter polishes!
1. Radiant Orchid: The official Pantone 2014 color of the year! While I think color is going to be better for warmer weather it’s already making its way into fashion and makeup. Essie Splash of Grenadine is probably the most true to Pantone’s version of radiant orchid in my collection. But, I do think something like OPI Pamplona Purple is a good cold weather option. It has a similar ton but it’s a bit darker.
2. Charcoal Brown: Totally didn’t see this one coming! But I’ve always had a soft spot for brown polish. It’s still dark and slightly edgy but less expected (and less harsh) than black. The brown polishes this season have a little shimmer and are a softer, cooler brown. My favorite polish in this color is OPI Warm Me Up. Sephora by OPI 212 Sephora is a different twist on this color. And Pixi Charcoal Celebration is a little more black for the black polish lovers.
3. Icy Gray: Gray was a big trend for fall 2013 but gray has taken a slight turn for winter. There are a couple of ways to go about achieving this look. One way is to just use a polish with that icy kind of finish like Orly Pixie Dust. Or, a glitter over a light gray or dusty blue polish can achieve an icy look. My favorite glitter for this is deborah lippmann Today Was a Fairytale. It’s great in combination with Julep Winter.
4. Raspberry: Quite the odd color trend for cold weather but I’ll take it! While there are polishes from pastel to super bright in this color they all have one thing in common; they are super shimmery. My favorite raspberry polish is on the more subtle side; PISTOL polish Like a Boss. Barielle Secret Encounter is a great blackened raspberry if you’re not so sure about wearing pastel polishes during the cold weather.
5. Glitter: Ok, I realize that doesn’t sound very original. But, the glitters that nail polish companies are including in their winter 2014 collections are quite different from most glitter polishes in the nail polish world. Essie Peak of Chic has matte, white bar glitter while Essie Ignite the Night has super fine glitter that give an almost textured look.