China Glaze Pelican Gray bottle

China Glaze Pelican Gray

China Glaze Pelican Gray bottleI’m about to sound really crazy….

But. A manicure came to me in a dream. No, seriously. I’m not even making this up! It was a navy and gray half moon manicure with blue glitter.

Anyway, I clearly needed a gray base for the manicure. I started looking through my stash and found Pelican Gray. It was released as part of China Glaze’s 2011 Anchors Away collection and was probably my favorite from the collection.

Pelican Gray is a light gray with blue undertones and a hint of shimmer. The shimmer is quite subtle therefore just gives the polish a bit of a glow.

The formula is a tad bit thin. I used three coats in my swatches.

I wore this for about a day before continuing on with my goal of recreating the manicure I saw in my dreams (I sound so crazy right now). You can get a preview of that mani over on TDV Instagram.

There are, of course, swatches of Pelican Gray under the jump.

China Glaze Pelican Gray China Glaze Pelican Gray swatch China Glaze Pelican Gray MACRO China Glaze Pelican Gray label

10 thoughts on “China Glaze Pelican Gray

1. trishna December 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

excited to see the nail art! 🙂 and i love this color!!! do you know if they ever made it permanent or know of any dupes? 🙂

• Alli December 7, 2013 at 11:41 am

I just checked and it looks like they didn’t add it to their permanent line (fail).

Off the top of my head I can’t think of any dupes but I’ll keep my eyes open for one!

2. pikrodafni December 6, 2013 at 10:21 am

One of my favourite polishes ever, along with Sea Spray from the same collection. I often wear them in homa manicures because I love both so much I can’t choose only one.

• Katie December 7, 2013 at 7:07 am

Sea Spray is such a pretty polish.

• Alli December 7, 2013 at 11:42 am

Sea Spray is also lovely! I quite liked the Anchors Away collection.

• pikrodafni December 7, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Have you tried Heaven, it’s lovely. I hope this collection becomes part of the main line, Anchors Away is really beautiful.

3. Nat December 7, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I don’t believe it, I JUST bought this color, DH got it for me for Christmas, (along with First Mate and Secret Peri-Winkle) so I haven’t tried it yet.

I also chose Pirouette my Whistle by OPI (heard so many good things, been on my wish list for a long time). Pelican Gray is one of the polishes I want to try with PMW. I knew First Mate and Pelican Gray had a nautical theme, but I was looking for a wintry look with the PMW topcoat.

Can’t wait to see what you do with it! Will stay tuned!

• Alli December 7, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Oh my gosh…Secret Peri-winkle! I love that polish. Your DH sounds fab 🙂

• pikrodafni December 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I love PMW! I’ve got two bottles and then found out that Nubar makes a very similar one, White Polka Dot – just in case PMW gets too hard (or impossible) to find.