Fall 2013 Must Have Polishes

Fall 2013: Must Have Polishes

Fall 2013 Must Have PolishesIt’s the first day of fall! It’s finally cooling down here in Charlotte but summer is still lingering. Despite that, I have been rocking fall nail polish colors.

Now, I’m not one that follows seasonal color rules. If I want to wear hot pink nail polish in November, I will. But, I do like to use nail polish to incorporate the trendy colors of any given season into my wardrobe.

This season’s colors are deep and rich. Pretty much right up my alley!

Below the jump are my fall nail polish colors picks along with several recommended polishes for each. Make sure to leave a comment with your must have fall polishes!

Essie Cashmere Bathrobe swatch1. Gray: I realize that sounds kind of boring. But, there is nothing boring about the gray polishes for this fall! This year’s grays have blue undertones. This takes the gray away from being muddy and makes it the perfect neutral that won’t clash with whatever colors are going on elsewhere in your look. My favorite gray release this year is Essie Cashmere Bathrobe because it has just a hint of shimmer to it. Other great options are OPI Nein! Nein! Nein! Ok Fine! and China Glaze Concrete Catwalk.

China Glaze Queen B swatch2. Acai: Or deep purple. But not so deep that it looks black. I love this shade of purple. It’s deep and rich and perfect for fall. China Glaze released Queen B in their fall 2013 collection that fits into this color category perfectly. Other polishes you might already have in your collection are OPI Sapphire in the Snow and OPI OPI….Eurso Euro.

PISTOL polish Fight Like a Girl3. Olive Green: This is the one color for fall I wasn’t totally sold on. I for some reason associate olive green with a very ugly color. Now, I wouldn’t want to wear a lot of olive green, but it’s really kind of gorgeous as a nail color. Fight Like a Girl from the PISTOL polish September duo completely won me over. Another good option is the newly released Loden Green from the Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure line.

deborah lippmann Rolling in the Deep4. Navy: My mother always tells me navy never goes out of style. And to an extent she’s right. But, navy is everywhere this fall. And it’s a great alternative to black polish (that really does never go out of style!). My new favorite navy is deborah lippmann Rolling in the Deep. But there are a slew of wonderful navy polishes out there including butter LONDON Royal Navy and Essie After School Boy Blazer.

OPI Peace & Love & OPI5. Oil Slick: No, it’s not technically a color. But the oil slick look, a metallic polish that shifts from purple to green, is everywhere! Both OPI (Peace & Love & OPI) and Essie (For the Twill of It) included such polishes in their fall 2013 collections. There are a ton of these types of polishes on the market, including NARS Disco Inferno and wet n wild Gray’s Anatomy.

19 thoughts on “Fall 2013: Must Have Polishes

1. Lou September 22, 2013 at 11:25 am

Oh, love all of these. I found myself looking at all my lovely gray polishes the other day, must make an effort to get some of them on my nails

• Alli September 22, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I’ve been loving gray recently! Such a chic color 🙂

2. Cindi September 22, 2013 at 11:39 am

I love the polishes you chose as must haves and I would add to your list a couple of reds, one brick and one oxblood, a gold, and a teal color. For the brick red my picks are OPI First Date At The Golden Gate, OPI Lost on Lombard, or Zoya Pepper. For a classic vampy oxblood shade, I love Sinful Colors Mirror Mirror or OPI Germanicure. For a deeper richer oxblood try Sinful Colors Rich In Heart which leans brown and is full of glorious shimmer. Also in that range is OPI Muir Muir On The Wall. For gold I pick Zoya Ziv, Sally Hansen Golden-I, Sally Hansen Insta Dri Chop-Chop Chopper, or Nina Ultra Pro Big Spender. Teal is one of my favorites and my choices here are Essie Trophy Wife, Zoya Giovanna, Sally Hansen Insta Dri Jet Set jade, or Cover Girl 290. For my green picks I like that green and I saw a similar color by Sally Hansen called Loden Green. SImilar to that is Zoya Hunter. My choice though for green is Sally Hansen Insta Dri in No S-Pear Time. I love the foil finish.In fact all of the new Insta Dri line for fall 2013 is perfect. I would highly recommend getting all of them. I did.They are affordable and so beautiful.

• Alli September 22, 2013 at 3:44 pm

So many people have recommended Germanicure! I might have to check that one out.

Love all your recommendations!

3. Elektra King September 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I just discovered your seasonal must have posts and I love it. such a cute idea! I will leave your page open on my tablet in order to read it again later … And of course to catch up with your last must have posts 🙂

• Alli September 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm

I’m so glad you like these posts! They’re fun to do and really get me in the mood for the new season 🙂

4. Nerdette September 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Excellent choices, especially the gray, navy and oil slick! Although my most recent favourite for fall is copper, like Color Club “Model Behaviour.”

• Alli September 22, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I always get into metallics when winter rolls around. But metallics are such a great alternative to neutral polishes year around!

5. Nat September 22, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I’ve never tried a gray polish, but I have been thinking about “Pyrite” by Emily de Molly. Of course, if I order that one, I have to get “Dark Forces”…Anybody ever tried an Emily de Molly?

• Alli September 22, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I’ve never even heard of Emily de Molly! I looked it up and she does have some pretty colors. Now I’m super tempted! lol

• Julia September 23, 2013 at 12:12 am

I wear Emily de Molly polishes all the time and LOVE them – the quality is outstanding! I have heaps of them because I’m in Australia, and they are super easy to get hold of (too easy for my bank balance to stay fat and happy), and I love all of them. Check out Somber Party for a grey with a little bit of somethin’ somethin’. Good luck and enjoy!

• Alli September 23, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thanks for the recommendation! I’m really intrigued by this brand now.

• Julia September 24, 2013 at 12:45 am

You’re welcome! Would love to see how you go with them either on the blog or shoot me an email. I’m not affiliated with the brand, just a big fan! (I recently swatched some of her holos on my blog if you want to take a look)

6. Nat September 22, 2013 at 7:34 pm

“Harmony” is a nice gray base too…Nail Polish Canada just started carrying Emily de Molly, and they ship to the US. All glitters and holos…what heavenly polishes. They sell out REAL fast. I haven’t tried one yet, but I’m such a sucker for unusual glitters like these. Did you see “Dark Forces” or the other “Forces” polishes? I’ve never seen anything like that big holodot glitter! But I’m getting off topic I guess… 🙂

• Alli September 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

Oh lord. I just went down the nail polish rabbit hole looking at those polishes! They are gorgeous.

7. Stacey September 22, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’m a huge fan of gray and navy for the fall, but there is something that just makes me happy when i bring out the rusts and reddish golds. I keep meaning to buy Concrete Catwalk, but I always forget about it until I read about it again. Funny thing is, it’s on my list of must haves. (maybe I should actually look at the list before making my purchases) LOL.

• Alli September 23, 2013 at 11:37 am

Concrete Catwalk is gorgeous. I need to get it out and wear it again. A definite must have!

8. Elektra King September 23, 2013 at 6:57 am

So here are my must haves for this fall:
    – OPI A-Piers to be Tan (warm light brown cream)
    – OPI I Knead Sour-Dough (brownish burgundy shimmer)
    – Zoya Chita (gooooorgeous Christmas tree green!)
    – KBShimmer Quantum Leaf (from last year’s collection, but so pretty)
    – OPI Casino Royale (rich purple cream)
    – Essie Sew Psyched (dusty grayish green and always in style 🙂 )

Have a nice day everyone!

• Alli September 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

Ohh, those are some good picks! Thanks for sharing 🙂

I never picked up Casino Royale but it’s been on my lemming list for awhile. I just love those deep purple polishes.