Football is almost here! College football is back this weekend with the NFL to shortly follow. And whether you’re football crazy like me or you just like going to the inevitable social gatherings people use football as an excuse to have, football nail art comes in handy.
In the past I have done a ton of football nail art. But I really wanted to figure out a way to make my football nails look like a football. An actual football is made from leather so it has a texture that using just nail polish wasn’t providing.
I came up with kind of an odd method to get my desired look. And this is the reason I had to get my OPI Black Shatter back into working condition!
Below the jump are a ton of swatches and exactly how I achieved the leather football look.
- A brown, football colored nail polish. I used Color Club Charity Ball. It’s literally the perfect football color.
- A black shatter nail polish. I used OPI Black Shatter but a ton of brands have made a black shatter/crackle/whatever polish. Any will do!
- A top coat.
- Apply 1 to 2 coats of the base color depending on the polish. Let that dry completely.
- Apply 1 coat of Black Shatter.
- Apply 1 coat of the base color.
- Apply the top coat.
That’s it! The shatter underneath the brown polish really does give the nail a textured leather look.
The overall manicure was really easy and cute. Perfect for football season!