Lately I’ve become a bit obsessed with mixing neons and black and white. I have a noen pink clutch that I absolutely adore so I’ve been carrying that with a couple black and white dresses I have. It’s a great way to summer-ize otherwise dull pieces.
Last week I was wearing wet n wild Pin’ Em Slater when a lightbulb went off in my head; hey, you can mix neons with black and white on your nails too! Duh Alli.
I wanted to do something sort of geometric since the yellow polish is so bright but, quite honestly, I just didn’t feel like laboring over nail art. In an attempt to cheat I tried using a toothpick to make stripes. It worked out surprisingly well.
Doing stripes this way will not give you a perfect stripe or even edges. But the inexact looking stripes made the manicure feel less fussy and care free. I liked it quite a bit.
For exactly how I did this and additional swatches check below the jump!
- At least 2 polish colors of your choice (I used Ulta Snow White and JulieG Black Sheep)
- A toothpick. I found the kind that are sort of flat work better than the very round toothpicks.
- A top coat (I used Rush 60 Second top coat)
- Paint your nail (or nails!) the base color of your choice. Let it dry COMPLETELY.
- Apply a small amount of nail polish to one end of the toothpick. One or two coats on the toothpick is more than enough.
- Then just place the toothpick on the nail and rotate it on the curve of the nail to get a (very) imperfect stripe.
- Wait for the stripes to dry completely before applying your top coat.
This was super easy and I really loved the result. It’s fun and just screams summer time!