It’s the first day of winter! This only excites me because it feels nothing like winter here in Charlotte. After living in Ohio for a number of years I was cured of loving snow and winter. But that doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy embracing winter color trends. Especially when it comes to nail polish.
The fall 2012 nail trends were mostly focused on creme finish polishes. Not so for winter! I’m definitely excited to venture out of cremes and get some shimmer and glitter into my life.
My list of the 5 must have polishes for winter 2013 are below the jump. Make sure to leave a comment with your 5 must haves!
1. Emerald: Pantone’s 2013 color of the year! This is a definite must have color. And a great way to add color during the cold winter months. The great thing about this color is you probably already have it in your current collection. My favorite is Revlon Top Speed in Emerald (which PS is currently on clearance at CVS!). Emerald is a dupe for OPI Jade is the New Black which is of course another great option for this color.
2. Chianti: AKA Burgundy aka the most talked about color of fall 2012. It’s hanging around just in a slightly different form. Chianti is moving towards a shimmery texture. A recently discovered favorite that would work fabulously for this is NYC Broadway Burgundy. Other good options are Finger Paints Merry Mittens and OPI Cabernet for the Lady.
3. Deep blue: Rich, deep blues are everywhere! This color is difficult to incorporate into a makeup look but super simple to pull of on nails. Whether it be a creme finish like Orly La Playa or OPI Road House Blues or a shimmery option like Essie Midnight Cami or Rimmel Midnight Blue, this is a great color for winter. It’s less harsh than wearing black polish and more unexpected than wearing a deep red.
4. Gold: Gold has made a comeback! Silver and rose gold have been popular for years but recently traditional yellow gold has been beating out other metallic colors. Alot of this is thanks to the baroque trend in fashion at the moment, but it’s easy to embrace on the nails as well. Gold flake top coats are EVERYWHERE! OPI Man With the Golden Gun is probably the most well known though many other brands have similar polishes and it’s even an easy DIY project. Other ways to rock gold are using a glitter polish like OPI GoldenEye or a metallic polish like Essie Good as Gold.
5. Multicolor glitter: AKA rainbow glitter! Rainbow glitter polishes have been around for ages though probably peaked in popularity as far as the nail polish community is concerned when Deborah Lippmann released Happy Birthday. Finally this trend is reaching the masses which is totally ok with me. It means I can pull out my now neglected bottles of rainbow glitter! My favorite rainbow glitter polish is Lex Cosmetics Acroiris though I do like China Glaze Glitter All the Way for a slightly less traditional take on the rainbow glitter trend.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this winter’s nail polish trends. And don’t forget to leave your favorites for winter in a comment!