DIY Velvet Manicure

Another day, another crazy nail trend! I’m beginning to think someone at Ciaté literally went to an arts and crafts store, stood in the scrapbook aisle and picked out scrapbooking materials they thought could pass as nail art. First was, of course, the Caviar manicure. Now there is the Velvet manicure. Ciaté has not launched their Velvet Manicure kits yet, though they are supposed to land at Sephora within a month or so. The Caviar kits are $25, so I imagine the Velvet manicure kits will be similarly priced.

Anyway, there is no reason to spend $25 to get on the Velvet Manicure bandwagon. I spent less than $7 at Michaels on supplies for these manicures. There is a step by step guide below the jump (and a ton of pictures!)! Make sure to leave a comment tell me whether or not you love this look or think it’s super silly.

What you need:

1. Nail polish! Any color will work. I do find creme formulas work best.
  2. Flocking powder. I got mine at Michaels in the scrapbooking aisle.

How to:

1. Apply one coat of polish to all of your fingers.
  2. Doing one nail at a time, apply a thick second coat of polish. Sprinkle flocking powder over the nail. Press down on the nail to make sure the flocking powder adheres. Repeat on the rest of your nails!
  3. Make sure to let your nails completely dry before doing anything.

See, super simple! This is alot easier than doing a Caviar manicure. But it doesn’t last any longer! About a day is all your going to get out of this manicure.

A couple of issues I ran into when I was testing out these velvet manicures. If you have a pet, do not pet them! I made this mistake and I had cat hair stuck to my nails for the entire day. Also, if you get anything on your nail, particularly liquid (think coffee or foundation) it’s hard, if not impossible, to remove the stain.

This was fun to do and it was something different. But there is something seriously weird about furry nails!

Don’t forget to leave a comment and let me know what you think about velvet manis!

Polishes used in this post: Revlon Blue Lagoon, Wet n Wild Club Havana, Ulta Snow White

110 thoughts on “DIY Velvet Manicure

1. Emma July 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Haha I agree that furry nails are a bit weird, but I really like it! 🙂

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 3:33 pm

It definitely took a little getting used to!

2. M July 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm

It looks so fun though! I might try this one day…

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Yous should try it if only because it’s a bit different 🙂

3. Secretary`s Nail Art July 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Its different, but I could see myself wearing the white one…

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I thought the white was really pretty 🙂

4. Nerdette July 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Seems very similar in style to the Caviar mani! Ciate seems kind of a ripoff, considering everything. I think I’d love to wear this manicure for pj days at school! What do you suppose would happen if you added a topcoat to this manicure?

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Well…I tried to put a top coat just on the tips. The nature of the flocking powder just made it difficult. I had fuzz on my brush and it got kind of clumpy on the nail.

5. Madeline (@grrrlgerms) July 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I don’t think I could deal with the texture on my nails (I can’t even deal with matte nails) but I do kind of love this look! It’s really…Muppet-y.

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

The colored ones do look like muppets!

6. Maddy July 9, 2012 at 6:54 pm

What about when you wash your hands?…..so strange!

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Washing your hands is fine. Just don’t scrub at your nails!

7. Olivia July 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm

This is so different! Very interesting. How did they hold up after a couple of days?

• Alli July 9, 2012 at 9:15 pm

The flocking powder kind of starts to shed after a day or so. This is definitely a night out kind of manicure!

8. April July 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Neat…Looks great on your nails…

• Alli July 11, 2012 at 10:51 pm

9. Nail Nerd July 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m so fixated on what happens AFTER you wash your hands — like how long it takes to dry. What a funky trend!

• Alli July 11, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Haha, The flocking powder doesn’t really soak up any water. I promise 🙂

10. Karen F July 12, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Is it just me or is Ciate doing a really great job of stealing ideas from beauty bloggers and trademarking them?

• Alli July 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

That’s basically all they’re doing. I hate that people fall for their crap!

11. Renate July 13, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love This, they are so cute 🙂

• Alli July 13, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’m glad you like it! Hope you give it a try 🙂

12. Jennifer July 14, 2012 at 7:33 pm

This is such an unusual look, I love it on you but I am not sure if I could wear it myself. Thank you for sharing, though

• Alli July 15, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Thank you! You should give it a try…you might just surprise yourself and like it 🙂

13. dearandersoncooper July 18, 2012 at 3:55 pm

i think this looks really cute, but i can’t stop thinking that it would be really unsanitary!! also, i really hope no one actually buys a kit for 25$, i can’t imagine that would be worth it!

• Alli July 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

People paid that much for those ridiculous Caviar sets!

I never thought of it as unsanitary….the flocking powder really doesn’t soak up liquid.

14. miranda chan July 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

imagine showering – it’d be weird! maybe .. as a pattern of velvet on a nail vs. the whole nail being covered in it?

• Alli July 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’ve thought about doing that. I really want to try an animal print. We shall see!

15. Crystal July 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I think its cool looking but to me .. a little useless , takes forever to dry and lasts a day if that…cool though (:

• Alli July 18, 2012 at 4:31 pm

This is definitely a special event kind of mani!

16. Megan July 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Your nails look great! I have to say, I think it’s silly and impractical (don’t pet your cat? Poor kitty!) but also fun! I might do it, but then what would I do with the rest of the flocking? Maybe a light spritz with hairspray would anchor the flocking a bit?

• Alli July 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

It’s completely impractical! And at this rate, I’m going to need to take up scrap booking to justify all the supplies I have around the house.

17. DeelishNailz July 18, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Omg!!!!! These are FABULOUS!!!! Sooo much more affordable than Ciate! I noticed that Ciate had only 3 colors to choose from…’suede’ (navy blue) ‘berry poncho’ (dark burgundy purple) & ‘Cashmere’ (grayish) Do you know if Michaels sell any other colors of flocking powder? I do love the bright colored look because its Summer!!
    Also I tried the DIY Caviar nails!!! I loved them too!!
    I cant wait to try this!!!

• Alli July 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I think there’s a navy and a gray…not sure about a burgundy. I just gravitated to this particular pack of flocking powder because I liked all the bright colors 🙂

18. Sydnee July 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I think its kinda cool and has a funky look to it but I would want it to last longer than a day ! I love all three colours you did!

• Alli July 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thank you!

19. Sonal July 19, 2012 at 3:14 am

I think it is super cool.. I would love to try it but we don’t get Flocking powder here in India.. Can someone help??? Can someone get me these??? 🙁

• Alli July 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

Certainly you kind find it somewhere! People all over the world scrapbook!

20. melissa July 19, 2012 at 10:36 am

i may have to try this:)

• Alli July 19, 2012 at 11:49 am

Let us know how you like it if you give it a try!

21. katherine July 28, 2012 at 12:00 am

what a smart idea! They are cute but I guess they don’t last long…?

22. Jean August 17, 2012 at 12:36 pm

To Sonal: Try Michael’s Online or other craft or scrapbooking sites. Someone will surely ship to India. I think my daughter would love this, and I may try the next time my husband and I go to the clubs

• Sonal August 18, 2012 at 1:51 am

Hey Jean!! Thank you so much I found the flocking powder on ebay 😀 Yay!!!

23. Ann Ricker September 9, 2012 at 11:47 am

When I saw these on another blog I HAD to do them. I went to Micheal’s and had every employee on the sales floor on a wild goose chase trying to find flocking powder since most of them had never heard of it. In the end they only had the Martha Steward brand and I wasn’t prepared to spend that much on something I wasn’t sure I would like, so I bought some on Amazon and I’m waiting for it to come in. I’m so excited to try these. 😀

• Alli September 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’m surprised they didn’t have the Recollections brand! But I’m glad you found flocking powder on Amazon. Hope you love your mani!

24. sofie September 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

wow!!! can you buy that in Europe??? i

• Alli September 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

The Ciate kit or the flocking powder? Both should be available in Europe.

25. reflexionsofgrace September 22, 2012 at 10:38 pm

These look fun. I’d probably be feeling my fuzzy fingernails all day, which would probably contribute to faster wear-off, haha, but looks fun to try!
    Thanks for sharing this DIY tutorial! 🙂

• Alli September 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm

You are welcome! And it really is hard not to “pet” your nails.

26. Jen October 27, 2012 at 8:48 am

How do you take it off?? Just with regular nail polish remover?

• Alli October 27, 2012 at 8:58 am

It comes off easily with normal polish remover 🙂

27. beachgal November 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Funny – when these first started to show up this yr I did not like them at all. But now I think I might get some ‘fur’ at the craft store and play with one color. Maybe it was just because I was seeing these textures in spring and summer and they speak to me more of fall/winter – thou who would know it’s fall now since we have been in the 90’s chronically through Oct and now into Nov still – ugh! I am soooo ready for fleece and cool windy off the ocean.

• Alli November 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

It’s fun to try even if it’s only a one time thing. Not to mention, it’s a great cure for a nail rut!

28. Brandi November 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm

These are cute! I really like the look, I think the feel would freak me out a bit, but I do like them. My girls want to try, their nails generally only last a day or two anyway 🙂

29. toyboxplayground November 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Very cute, my girls want to try this. I like they way it looks in pretty much all of the colors, but I think the orange is my favorite 🙂

30. gailstorm December 12, 2012 at 1:02 am

It looks great in white. I love new trends. Your up close pictures are better than site’s trying to sell. The white looks velvet, other colors are hairy. Too funny: don’t pet your pet. My doggie wouldn’t have that. Glad I found this site. I will be trying this. My polish only lasts a day anyway unless its gel.

• Alli December 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

My cat was less than thrilled about the whole no petting thing. I felt bad about it!

31. Danielle December 25, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Do I need to put a top coat over the velvet ??

• Alli December 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

No. If you do that you’ll take away the velvet texture 🙂

32. Sara January 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I actually tried the ciate velvet nails in sephora. All I can say I started brushing my nails on my face and I kept petting my nails lol they were so fuzzy. There only difference is the flocking powder seems a bit thicker (I haven’t tried the flocking powder but I can tell from the images) the ciate velvet powder thing that comes with the kit is a very fine powder. In a sense that when you put it on your nails it looks like dust. Ew I know but once it dries it feels so weird like fabric or something. I only have one question, can you get “finer” flocking powder?

• Alli January 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm

The way the flocking powder is packaged makes it appear “thick” but once it loosens up it’s really quite fine.

That being said, Michael’s has a hundred kinds of everything so if finer flocking powder is available I’m sure they have it!

33. tia February 5, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I wanna buy flocking powdwr in various colours
    From where cud i get?

• Alli February 5, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I got mine at Michaels….but you can probably also find flocking powder on Amazon.

34. Louise (Nailedit) March 21, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Super cool! Great idea 🙂 I’ve been interested in getting Ciatés velvet manicure, but think they’re WAY over priced. This is a really great substitute 🙂 Hope I can find some in Sweden ..

• Alli March 21, 2013 at 10:41 pm

I’m sure you can! Flocking powder should be pretty easy to find wherever scrap booking materials are sold 🙂

35. Sarah April 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm

I saw a design that used flocking powder and I absolutely love the idea! My friend said to get it at Michaels and I was just curious how much was the Recollections set you got?

• Alli April 14, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I think it was around $7 or $8, but I can’t remember exactly. Definitely less than $10.

36. Marina April 22, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Your white version reminds me of Hostess Snoballs!! 😀

37. Julie Ann May 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

THANK YOU! I stupidly bough the Ciate kit and it SUCKED. The powder would barely come out of the shaker but you can’t remove the top to get to it so your nails just wind up looking kinda smudged. This is MUCH better. Off to Michaels for me 🙂

• Alli May 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I’m so glad you found my post helpful! Those Ciate kits are SO overpriced.

38. Selvie July 4, 2013 at 7:46 am

Wow, this is really a great diy project, nails are looking very attractive after do that, i love this idea, many thanks for sharing..

• Alli July 4, 2013 at 10:04 am

Glad you like it!

39. Pingback: Essie Peak of Chic
  40. Alex December 9, 2013 at 4:34 pm

lovely

41. Meghan Alexandra January 17, 2014 at 1:47 am

Is the flocking powder clear or is the flocking powder all those tubes of color? The orange and the blue and all that. Is it colored flocking powder or what

• Katie January 17, 2014 at 8:13 am

It’s not clear. The flocking powder comes in a lot of different colors. You can usually buy them in multipacks for a pretty low price.

42. Cecelia February 17, 2014 at 10:25 am

What if I apply uv gel polish instead of nail polish? Can it last longer?

• Alli February 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

I don’t think that would help. The real problem with the wear is the flocking powder starts to shed and simply just living life eventually ruins the flocking powder.

43. Anonymous May 13, 2014 at 6:28 am

I really like velvet and caviar nails (I change my nail designs almost daily Anyway)but I wish there was a way to make them last longer. My first caviar nail kit wasn’t $25, but still too much than I liked to pay, but it only lasted about a day. Any tips or ideas to make it last? Or do I use it as an excuse to change my design, yet again?

• Alli May 14, 2014 at 2:29 pm

There really isn’t a good way to make these manicures last. At least not that I’ve found.