Revlon – Whimsical

Ah the much talked about Revlon dupe for Deborah Lippman’s Glitter in The Air (For a comparison over on Fab Fatale click here).

Let me start off by saying that I don’t like sheer polish – at all – I don’t like nail lines, I have absolutely no interest in OPI’s NYC Ballet Collection – it’s just not my bag.

So… when I bought Whimsical I knew I’d be layering over something else – so I tried it on top of my last mani: Jessica by Julep – and it worked out pretty well. I used two coats over two coats of Jessica – I think I’m going to try it over grey next.

Whimsical has light pink and blue hexagonal glitter suspended in a milky blue base that has some subtle blue microglitter throughout.

Overall, I like the look – I just don’t know how often I’ll wear it – right now I think I’ll probably send Whimsical off to a new home where it’ll get the love & attention it deserves. On second thought, it is completely unique to my collection…. oh the trials and tribulations of a nail polish addict…

14 thoughts on “Revlon – Whimsical

1. g2-d99e056b2104cb2252996e10cbacdff5 April 11, 2012 at 1:27 am

I’m with you on the sheers and especially the NY ballet collection. I particularly don’t understand the hype surrounding the gray one. In every swatch I’ve seen, it makes the wearer look like a freshly dug up corpse, and yet most of them are so excited about it. I just don’t get it.

I do rather like the glitter in the collection, though. Enoug do that I’m considering getting a backup, but I’m trying to rein myself in, because even though I have only bought backups of 2 polishes, it already feels like it’s way too easy to justify, and I already can’t keep up with the polishes I want to get and don’t already have.

• Katie April 11, 2012 at 1:48 am

Ugh the grey is especially awful – they all just seem so boring to me…I don’t understand the hype when there are so many essie polishes that look exactly the same… I don’t know that I’ve ever gotten a back up – I could be wrong though. I just figure I have so much polish already, I can’t imagine going through an entire bottle of anything… ever – and if I do I figure I’ll be loving something else by then.

2. Mnemo April 11, 2012 at 4:58 pm

LOL, I hate the gray polish from the OPI NYC Ballet coll as well! I don’t understand how anyone could look at those pics and go “it suits my skin tone so well!”… But, although I didn’t use to like sheers, I find myself strangely drawn to this collection. I think it’s just the nice fresh clean look after an overload of glitters and vampy polishes since August (we didn’t really have a summer over here last year :P). So I bought myself the mini set. 🙂 (the gray one in there will of course never be used, but oh well)
    I love Whimsical, but I indeed layer it too. Have you ever tried it over a pink polish? I’d love to see that!

• Katie April 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I haven’t tried it over pink – but I definitely will!

• Magda March 24, 2014 at 10:25 am

I tried it over a nude, it was incredible. The bluish/greenish base darkened the nude just a little, and the glitter sparkled. I did like it very much.

• Katie March 25, 2014 at 7:50 am

Must try! I haven’t gotten out Whimsical in ages..

• Katie April 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Perhaps over lavender too. Ooooh…

• Magda March 24, 2014 at 10:28 am

I’ll be trying it next! I have a soft spot for Whimsical, although the base is not as blue as I like – and with time mine is becoming decidedly green. 🙁

• Katie March 25, 2014 at 7:50 am

Oh no!

3. coffee.♥ April 14, 2012 at 1:39 am

wow this polish is so cute! (and a def dupe for fab fatale :P)
    gonna pick this up for sure next time i stop by target!

4. Lindsay May 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

so I finally found whimsical by accident the other day after searching forever and I googled to see what some people layered it with since I don’t have the time/patience/desire to do 4 layers of it…I saw your idea of grey and just did mine over just one coat of Essie Cocktail Bling and I love it! it’s much more toned down than the baby blue and matches the bottle color almost perfectly!

And now I found your blog which is great!

• Katie May 11, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Oh awesome!! I don’t have patience for 4 coats either…. I still haven’t tried it over grey – but now I definitely will! Thanks for the tip, Lindsay!